Shifting Political Fortunes
Who is Angrier, More Worried, More Motivated to Vote?
Independent State Legislative Theory Nightmare
The Democrats could also do this if they had control of more state legislatures, but the Democrats would not do it. They would not override the will of the voters. It is only the GOP that needs to shatter our democracy to stay in power because it is a party that no longer tries to appeal to all Americans. It is a White Nationalist party that is shrinking but trying to hold onto power. Because it does not even try to appeal to the rising multicultural majority it has to “win” by cheating.
Will the Dems keep the House and the Senate? I think it is touch and go right now, but the outcome will matter more than any other election in our country’s history. The outcome will depend on turn out and turn out will depend on whether how much outrage there is driving voters to the polls.
There’s the rage and fears of millions of educated suburban women and the men who know it is unfair to take away reproductive rights. And there are the kitchen table worries of apolitical, misinformed Americans who may blame Biden for their financial woes even though they shouldn’t. And then there are the deplorables, the paranoid millions in Trump’s base of voters who fear the browning of America and being “replaced”.
Adding to the uncertainty of prediction this midterm is that pollsters confess that they are not able to trust their own polling these days. Why? because so many Trump supporters either will not talk with pollsters or give false answers when asked questions by pollsters, and there are too few ways to connect with voters who have cell phones instead of landlines.
To make matters worse, there are close to 300 election denialists running for office who refuse to say whether they will accept the result of this election if they lose. For example, Kari Lake, the Republican running for governor of Arizona, refuses to say what she will do if she loses. She simply says she will win. But if she loses it is likely she and others like her in the GOP will pretend they have won, following the new GOP cheat to win playbook written by Donald Trump.
What Could Be in Store if Republicans Win Back Both Chambers of Congress
So what will happen if the GOP regains the House and the Senate?
1) The GOP will block everything Biden wants to do in the second half of his first term. There will be few if any more federal judges appointed. Biden had been appointing a very diverse group of judges to the federal bench. All of that will stop.
2) The GOP will also undo almost everything Biden has done by executive order. No more school debt relief, for starters. They will reverse everything they can. They will try to undermine the social safety net: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and more will be at risk.
3) Marjorie Taylor Greene and other MAGAs will dominate the House and create mayhem because they have no agenda other than owning the libs, shattering our democracy, and getting Trump back in power. Oh, and helping the rich get richer. I almost forgot their guiding principle.
4) Our democracy will be under constant attack. What that means in plain English is that our country under the control of Republicans in the House and Senate will shatter our rights and freedoms and our votes will not count anymore. LGBTQ rights. The right to reproductive health care. The right to marry someone of another race could be at risk. The Republicans will introduce a national abortion ban that would erase our freedoms in every single state- red or blue.
5) There will be endless investigations of Hunter Biden, Anthony Fauci, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris and others.
6) Kevin McCarthy just said he would not give Ukraine a blank check anymore. Putin must be toasting his fellow murderers in his inner circle after hearing that.
7) The January 6th Committee will be dead in the water. Other investigations into Trump might be at risk even though the DOJ will still be operating under Merrick Garland and presumably following through on their work. But the GOP will be doing everything they can to attack DOJ and defund the FBI to keep Trump and his base happy.
8) Trump could make a bid to become the Speaker of the House. I have written about this before. The Speaker of the House does not need to be an elected official. This would give Trump a platform and make him the center of attention again.
Are We Pre-Destined to Get This Outcome? NO!
WE STILL COULD PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING IF WE VOTE IN LARGE NUMBERS. There are way more of us than them. Many of us are not as noisy and outspoken as the Trump people are. We exist even in ruby red states. We are the majority. We do not want Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy ruining our country again, but we have to vote like our lives depend on it. Because they do.
If you don’t want a national abortion ban that will make abortion and IVF illegal and ruin the lives of millions of American women who are going to experience ectopic pregnancies and miscarriages or botched abortions, then we have to GET OUT OUR VOTERS!
If you don’t want endless baseless hearings about Hunter Biden, Dr. Fauci, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris and others that the House Republicans can’t wait to torture, then we have to GET OUT OUR VOTERS!
If you don’t want to get more Federalist Society judges and have the end of Biden’s appointments of way more diverse judges for the federal judicial system, then we better GET OUT OUR VOTERS!
If you don’t want to see the end of climate change legislation, GET OUR OUR VOTERS!
If you want to be sure you still have Social Security and Medicare then VOTE FOR THE DEMOCRATS!
If you don’t want to get Donald Trump back as president, then GET OUT OUR VOTERS!
Many of these key races will be won by a HANDFUL OF VOTES. Literally, a few hundred, or a dozen or even one vote could make all the difference in a district that then makes all the difference in the outcome in a state.
Please do what you can to get out the vote in your state. Canvass. Make calls. Text voters. Send postcards to voters to remind them how much it matters. Tell your friends and relatives to vote for Democrats up and down the ticket and explain what’s at stake. Support groups that help voters get to the polls by providing rides.
This is the moment. It’s all hands on deck. This is for all the marbles not only now but for the foreseeable future.